Shalom

I have longed for thy salvation, O L-RD; and thy Torah is my delight. Let my soul live, and it shall praise thee; and let thy judgments help me. I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments. Psalm 119:174-176


21 June 2013

What have I been reading this week? Part 2

So, I've been a busy little reader in the last day or so, and I've brought more to the table for you out there that I've found in the blogosphere.

Rob Roy's discussing Mark 7:
The  conclusion for Christianity is that Mark 7:19 has been mistranslated and
 misunderstood: Yeshua was not abrogating God’s instructions regarding
food because to do so would have been to go against His Father’s
instructions – thus disqualifying Yeshua as the Messiah of Israel. This
is why the interpretation laid out above is actually good news for all
who believe in Yeshua, as it upholds the fact that he was indeed the
spotless lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world (John 1:29). -
 See more at:  http://messianicpublications.com/robert-roy/did-jesus-declare-all-foods-clean/#sthash.yW3UiAnC.dpuf

I also read a great article entitled: 15 Positive Strategies for Dealing with Conflicts, Arguments & Back Talk this is for parenting, but it looks like it would be terribly helpful for just about any situation!

Melanie Springer Mock had a great article:
At any rate, the evangelical messaging about singles made me miserable in St. Louis. Sometimes, I wish I could live that time over without evangelicalism’s lies ringing in my ears, telling me I was worthless because I was single, even though being single is a special, special time. Somehow, I think my life here would have been far richer, had I not been waiting so desperately for my Boaz to come.
Waiting for Boaz in St. Louis

Kristen at Wordgazer's Words had a wonderful post: "Sir, I Perceive You are a Prophet" - Jesus and the Woman at the Well

Margaret Mowczko had several really cool articles on the Egalitarian Christian Alliance Blog:
...Martha and Mary were both woman of great faith, spiritual acuity and devotion.  The church needs both Marthas and Marys who will be pragmatic and exuberant in their devotion to the Lord Jesus, and are always choosing to spend time with Jesus, learning from him...
Martha, Mary and Lazarus of Bethany
...Rather than a prescriptive definition of masculinity and femininity, or of manhood and womanhood, the reality is that – especially in western society – there is a broad continuum of manly and womanly behaviour.  Moreover, on this continuum, there is a large overlapping area of behaviour that is not especially gendered...
Gender Obsessions: Emphasizing our Differences or Similarities?

 ...despite the patriarchal culture of Bible times, there were plenty of women who, because of noble birth, extraordinary ability, spiritual gifting, or for some other reason, had authoritative and powerful positions and ministries.  There is no hint whatsoever that the positions and roles of these women were odd, improper or unacceptable.  Moreover men such as Barak, Josiah’s delegation, Mordecai, and Apollos, etc, seemed to have had no problem receiving instruction and direction from a godly woman...
The (im)Propriety of Women with Authority


...God used these two faith-filled women for his purposes – to bless the community of his people.  God could have chosen men, but in these cases he chose women.  Perhaps he saw in these two women a readiness for true faith and action.  God is still choosing to use faith-filled women who are courageous, capable and ready to bless his people...
Rahab and Lydia: Two Faith-filled Bible Women

Then there was this quite interesting article by DiannaeAnderson:
...I also cannot, in good conscience, get behind the language of self-control as it pertains to sexuality because it implies a false dichotomy between people who wait and people who choose to have sex - it fails to provide adequate sexual ethics of consent and respect.The problem, I’ve found, is much larger than simply the discussion of virginity or purity or sexuality, though that part of it is important. Instead, our language and philosophies have been heavily infiltrated by the heresy of Gnosticism...
The Flesh as Bogeyman: Sex, Self-Control, and Post-Evangelical Culture
 The comments are just as good as the article. I don't know exactly where I fall at the moment with my thoughts on the matter, but it is certainly quite thought provoking!!

Perfect Number 628 has some awesome posts in her own right that I'd read today:

...me wanting to look awesome and beautiful pushes in one direction, and my concern for some mysterious problem that boys supposedly have pushes me in the other. It's godly to give up my rights in order to help other people, but is there anything godly about looking beautiful? Is it all just my selfishness that makes me not want to look like a tent?

They say God made beauty. Well he obviously did it wrong- we need to cover it all up before its evil power enslaves all the men...
Modesty as she is taught


...I feel like I'm not allowed to look cute/beautiful/feminine at all. The logical conclusion is that I should wear a tent, you know, in order to help the guys as much as possible.
...the bible says to treat others better than ourselves. So shouldn't I give up my rights, without limit, in order to possibly help someone else a little bit?
...this is exactly what it's like for a woman to worry about her clothes and feel bad and fear that she might "cause her brother to stumble", and by extension feel like something is wrong with the feminine way her body was made, and that she's not allowed to be beautiful. Huge cost, no apparent benefit...
Modesty: My Solution
Sarah McCarten had a wonderful article entitled: When we experience things differently. 

Hannah, as always, has wonderful posts about Domestic Violence issues in the church:  Parish Response To Domestic Violence
 
Fromtwotoone is offering a Feminism Q&A series - I can't say it enough, I would LOVE to see what you all bring to the table!!

Caris Adel is writing a True Womanhood series discussing the True Woman 101 Divine Design study:
Part 1 – True Womanhood – Why Airplanes Aren’t in the Bible
Part 2 – True Womanhood – Death to Certainty
Part 3 – True Womanhood – Affirming Female Ordination?
Part 4 – True Womanhood – June Cleaver as Jesus
Part 5 – True Womanhood – An Offensive Gospel

 Oh my goodness!! They are all quite wonderful!

The Wall Street Journal had this to read: Why Dads Don't Take Paternity Leave More Companies Offer New Fathers Paid Time Off, but Many Fear Losing Face Back at the Office
"There's still a stigma associated with men who put parenting on an equal footing with their jobs," said Scott Coltrane, a sociologist at the University of Oregon. "Most employers still assume that work comes first for men, while women do all the child care."
...Active fathers are seen as distracted and less dedicated to their work—the same perception that harms career prospects for many working mothers, said Jennifer Berdahl, the study's lead author, adding that such men are accused of being wimpy or henpecked by their wives...
What a pity.  We really do need to turn this on it's head to benefit parents and children.
For those who do not know, Maternity and Paternity leave is available here in Germany, and my husband took time off with both children's births.


I also found this little gem:

... millions of women are being told when to get pregnant based on statistics from a time before electricity, antibiotics, or fertility treatment. Most people assume these numbers are based on large, well-conducted studies of modern women, but they are not. When I mention this to friends and associates, by far the most common reaction is: “No … No way. Really?” Surprisingly few well-designed studies of female age and natural fertility include women born in the 20th century—but those that do tend to paint a more optimistic picture....
The Atlantic: How Long Can You Wait to Have a Baby?

The article I'll sign off with is the one that really made me angry to no end. If someone can get me a copy of this magazine, I will be forever grateful to you.

"Gospel Today, the Fayetteville-published magazine, was pulled off the racks by the bookstores’ owner, the Southern Baptist Convention. The problem? The five smiling women on the cover are women of the cloth — church pastors."

..."The buyers said the statements that were in it took positions that were contrary to what we would say," Turner said. "It wasn't so much that there were women on the cover."... - See more at: http://soulfulbeauty.com/new.php?n=121#sthash.01JQEiiy.dpuf


Have you been reading anything interesting? Feel free to drop me a line below. :)  I might not always comment on the blogs listed above, especially since hurting myself on a chair this week... but I'm reading and sharing your stuff if it speaks to me! I'm more than happy to be an evangelist for you when it speaks to my heart.

Much love,

Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you've been doing a whole lot more reading than I! The Flesh as the Bogeyman article is indeed very interesting. I find that I disagree w/ some of her premises and conclusions while agreeing very much with the importance of emphasizing a holistic view of sex and healthy sexuality above the line of self-control (but not w/o losing the line of self-control). The comparison to disordered eating is wonderful. I'll let that role around in my brain....

    Hope the hand feels better soon!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete