Shalom

I have longed for thy salvation, O L-RD; and thy Torah is my delight. Let my soul live, and it shall praise thee; and let thy judgments help me. I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments. Psalm 119:174-176


20 March 2013

The Girl Effect 38 - Image is Powerful, as is Education


Cameron Russell has spent the last decade posing as a supermodel. Occasionally she writes about grassroots public art and political power, and experiments with making art for the internet and the street. She is the director of The Big Bad Lab which creates participatory art and media platforms dedicated to including people in radical demonstrations of positive social change.


I found Cameron's talk very interesting. I'm still mulling over the different things that made me think in the video, so I decided to share it in this venue and give you something to think about too. I would LOVE to hear your thoughts in the comments.  I'm still learning and processing a lot of things in my past in reference to beauty, superficiality, feminism and patriarchy - so I'm really open to hearing any and all opinions on her talk. 

What stands out to me is white privilege, superficial beauty, patriarchy, our advertising culture and perceptions on all of those things.  I believe modeling has it's place, but we need more changes so that people see real bodies every day, and not the photo-shopped things we see today.


In the news today, Malala Yousefzai is going back to school! 

Malala Yousafzai has gone to school today for the first time since she was shot last October. Then, the 15-year-old Pakistani girl was left for dead by the Taliban, a punishment inflicted on her simply for wanting to be educated.
Malala’s journey back from a hospital bed to the classroom is not only an inspirational story of courage triumphing over all the odds but a story of determination and, indeed, of destiny: a signal to the world that nothing—not even bullets and death threats—can now stand in the way of every girl’s right to education.
The Daily Beast:  Gordon Brown - Malala returns to school


It seems a little ludicrous to be cheering for "just one little girl", but - it's one girl! Tomorrow it might be two, Friday it might be three, next week it might be a hundred more. But today, we celebrate what one girl was able to do, and we work towards billions more.

Butterfly at the Luisenpark, Mannheim, Germany - Photo by J. Stahl


I've been keeping up with Mayim Bialik for a while, and she's updated her blog with her Five Ways I'm Doing Passover Differently.

It must be a season or something, but we're doing things very similarly this year due to illness. I can't order food, so for us it's four things we're doing different on Passover. 

I'm following along with the Spiritual Abuse syncro blog at Wine and Marble, Mary DeMuth's site, Joy in this Journey, My friend Anna's blog Momma On A Mission and Rachel Held Evans' blog. For those of us who have been in and out of Gothardite circles, you might find Recovering Grace's site very helpful.  And if you suspect you've also been Spiritually Abused, a good book couple of books for you to follow up with and process (with or without a counselor) are Toxic Faith, Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse and Soul Repair: Rebuilding Your Spiritual Life.*
* I still have to finish reading Toxic Faith and Soul Repair. I kind of got distracted and needed a break after coming to terms with my own Spiritual Abuse.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I didn't know Mayim had a blog! *off to follow her*
    Thank you for your always thought-provoking posts...my comments aren't always deep, but you make me think a lot, and I appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete