Shalom

I have longed for thy salvation, O L-RD; and thy Torah is my delight. Let my soul live, and it shall praise thee; and let thy judgments help me. I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments. Psalm 119:174-176


13 February 2013

The Girl Effect 36 - 1 Billion Rising - *Trigger Warning: Abuse*

1 Billion Rising 2013 logo

As you well know by now, I'm a blogging activist for women to have rights and freedom. This may garner me many labels. I don't care.  What I do care about is, people living in safety regardless of their gender or genitalia, simply because G-d made us who and how we are, and we deserve to be treated simply as children of G-d; handled and loved with grace.

The VDay Movement has been around for 15 years. Due to my very closed fundamentalist circle, and the ideas that were shoved down my throat for so many years, I never heard of it until this week.

I believe what they are doing is wonderful, and quite complementary to the efforts I've been making on my blog for the last few months. Therefore, I will be sharing what they are up to today. :)








Trigger warning - Various Forms of Abuse.

*Trigger Warning* A film by @EveEnsler and Tony Stroebel.
Please spread far and wide w/this tweet: Rise up on 2-14 to end Violence against Women in a global event! @vday http://onebillionrising.org/

1 in 3 women on the planet is raped or beaten in her lifetime. That is ONE BILLION women. On 14 February 2013 V-Day is inviting ONE BILLION women and those who love them to WALK OUT, DANCE, RISE UP, and DEMAND an end to this violence. ONE BILLION RISING will move the earth, activating women and men across every country. We want the world to see our collective strength, our numbers and our solidarity across borders. Tell the world why you're rising on 14 February 2013 at onebillionrising.org. What does ONE BILLION look like? On 14 February, it will look like a REVOLUTION.
http://www.onebillionrising.org/

 The videos below are safe.




 Song Lyrics here
 


Song Lyrics: here


If you go to the Vday Youtube page, you will find several operations going on in Germany for this event, and several MPs discussing the issue. You can also find a TV interview in German (3 parts) about the issue here:

Part 1 Gewalt gegen Frauen One Billion Rising bei Oriental Night Teil1
Part 2 Gewalt gegen Frauen One Billion Rising bei Oriental Night Teil2
Part 3 Gewalt gegen Frauen One Billion Rising bei Oriental Night Teil3


 
Eve Ensler: Tell me about One Billion Rising.
Anne Hathaway: It’s hard to wrap my head around the fact that a billion women have been raped or beaten, just the enormity of that. When I was in college, I’d heard that one in four women would be raped, and I thought, God, that means I must know someone who was raped. Sure enough, I found out a week later that a friend had been. A billion is too big because one is too big.
http://www.glamour.com/entertainment/blogs/obsessed/2012/12/anne-hathaway-talks-about-her.html
 

I am rising here on my blog and on Google+. Are you rising with women on Vday? 
Feel free to leave a note in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. Very powerful...just so sad I'm so late finding out about it...I hope to do something next year!
    From the Comment Club!

    ReplyDelete