Shalom

I have longed for thy salvation, O L-RD; and thy Torah is my delight. Let my soul live, and it shall praise thee; and let thy judgments help me. I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments. Psalm 119:174-176


09 November 2012

The Girl Effect, part 15

Hello again! I wanted to let you all know I'm still here plugging away, and as you can see the image to the left, I've been reading Rachel Held Evans' new book.

 I'd won a copy on Pam Hogeweide's blog, and as my friends at Gentle Christian Mothers, and the reviews I'd read online had said - I am loving every millisecond of reading my free copy of "A Year of Biblical Womanhood"

In fact, it made its way with me today to the doctor's office where I got a lovely blood draw (best I've ever, EVER had actually!) and found out that I do in fact have sinusitis again. Grr. arrg.   The cool thing though,  I got the doctor interested in my book.

Unlikliest of unlikelys, he happened to pick the book up, read the title, the summary on the back and asked me how I was liking it. "Very well! It is terribly funny and I'm enjoying reading it. This one is new from the US, and very popular right now." and he replied "It looks interesting and like it could be funny." - Definitely not the reaction I'd expect from a doctor, or even a reaction I'd expect here in Germany - but, you have to understand, we don't have the same evangelical pull here that I grew up with in the culture of the United States, or even when I lived in the United States. The idea of "biblical womanhood" is... we... more like what womanhood was in the Bible days, not something that is foisted upon women to live like in this day and age. To some, it may have a context more in line with Islam perhaps - but not what is considered "Christian Orthodoxy" in the sense of what is normal to Christianity. Considering he knows that my beliefs align more along the lines of Messianic Judaism and somewhere to the further left of that - Judaism in all of it's wonderful forms, reading this book must make things more interesting.*giggle*

I've made it almost to the end of my book in the matter of a few hours, and I daresay that this book and Pam Hogewide's "Unladylike" have been the fastest read books I have had this year, followed closely by Jim Henderson's "The Resignation of Eve" and Carolyn Custis James' "Half the Church" (which I am almost finished with as well)

Adding to the delight of reading "A Year of Biblical Womanhood", I have found that not only are Rachel and I close in age, but we have similar personalities. So, I am finding that I am laughing in much of this book as our humor is very similar, and our approaches to learning how to bake is apparently similar as well. Her story about baking apple pie for Thanksgiving reminded me of the film "Julie & Julia", which I had the pleasure to watch not too long ago when it premiered on our movie channels here.

Her retelling of her first Passover (cleaning and prep) reminded me of my first year here in Germany, in my last trimester with my eldest and trying last minute (I call "the month of" last minute as it does take more care and concern when you cook and bake all your meals at home) to clean the house top to bottom.
In case you've never been pregnant or have never really been around pregnant women in your life - this is not a good thing... as your muscles, tendons and bones tend to be a lot more elastic and in your spring cleaning tizzy - you may well tear, bend or overexert parts of yourself, which I found out first hand.

I totally related to sitting in the floor of the kitchen and crying. I've totally been there! Mine was more on Passover than Thanksgiving though, after realizing the gravity of the situation and I was doing it alone. Followed by a repeat in the last three years, this time with children. First time post pregnancy, I was pregnant again with a toddler "helping", and then with two toddlers. I decided this past year that hiring help to go through it with me was smarter... and less likely to end up with me in the floor crying that the job was too much for just one lady to do.

I guess what I'm trying to say is "get out and get yourself this book!!" Perhaps, you too, may find it healing. Perhaps it might help satiate your curiosity about certain Christian lifestyles or aspects of living modestly, or even family purity. Perhaps your curiosity about how an egalitarian marriage works may be satiated.  And perhaps, it might inspire you that: yes indeed, I too can have girlfriends that are willing to come to my rescue when I dig a hole slightly too big to pull myself out of.

Rachel, you did a GREAT job sister.

Dear readers, I hope to have some more interesting things to contribute soon. Until then, have a great and restful weekend, and I'll see you probably after my youngest's birthday party.

4 comments:

  1. Just found these:

    Carolyn Custis James: Raising a Ruckus Over Biblical Womanhood
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carolyn-custis-james/raising-a-ruckus-over-biblical-womanhood_b_2078286.html

    And Rachel's recent blog post: “Biblical Womanhood” and the illusion of clarity: a response to Kathy Keller
    http://rachelheldevans.com/blog/biblical-womanhood-and-the-illusion-of-clarity-a-response-to-kathy-keller

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am adding this book to my to-read list! It sounds like a fascinating and fun read. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoy it Sungglebugmom! To me, it was like having a new friend for an entire year, and then she moved away. It was nice getting to know her and share that part of her life, to have my faith spurred on further.

    She raises some good questions, and even if we don't come to absolutely the same conclusion - her 10 resolutions at the end are pretty much where I've been led to make changes in the last 6 months. It's funny how G-d moves sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this. KR Wordgazer has a lovely review here of the book: http://krwordgazer.blogspot.de/2012/11/book-recommendation-year-of-biblical.html

    ReplyDelete