Shalom

I have longed for thy salvation, O L-RD; and thy Torah is my delight. Let my soul live, and it shall praise thee; and let thy judgments help me. I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments. Psalm 119:174-176


19 October 2012

Author Highlight - Pam Hogeweide - sidebar from The Girl Effect

My Kindle, open to Unladylike
Photo by J.Stahl


Today I want to switch gears and highlight a lady I think is challenging the status quo and helping women within the Christian and Messianic community to challenge their thinking, re-examine Scripture and find out what is really up with the idea of "Biblical Womanhood" and how we have been possibly mislead as to what that really means.

My awesome candidate for women who are making major strides, is Pam Hogeweide. Christian, Wife, Mother, blogger, author, and really cool lady.

Pam released her book Unladylike: Resisting the Injustice of Inequality in the Church this year. And amazingly, she said yesterday that under 700 copies have sold.  I'm shocked actually, considering that it is well discussed in three different online forums that I am currently a member of. I don't doubt her, don't get me wrong - I'm just crazy mind-boggled that the news hasn't gotten out and more women have not heard of her book. That's just insane. So insane, I wonder what it would take to get some more copies out and in the hands of church ladies and church refugees the world over. Hmmm..

"Pam reminded me that I have a responsibility to lean into freedom–not just for myself, but for my sisters. Injustice doesn’t just run away. We have to say, Enough! If I am tired of silencing, I have to take a stand. Plus: If we want to be part of empowering women everywhere, understanding our value–and our equality in the eyes of God–is essential. It’s from this place that we can go on and transform our world."
Idette Vicker, She Loves Magazine, Unladylike: Author Interview with Pam Hogeweide
"I’ve long thought that the whole egalitarian/complimentarian thing would be, if not completely solved, then helped along the way a lot, if people – and here I mean primarily us men – started seeing church leadership, not in terms of leadership, but in terms of servanthood. You’re not leading the church if you’re the pastor or an elder or a teacher, you’re serving it. You’re not leading your parishioners, you’re serving them. You’re not in the front, you’re in the back. You don’t deserve the attention, the people in the pews do. And so on."
Arni Zachariassen, This looks like a good read ("Unladylike" by Pam Hogeweide)
"When your theology doesn’t match with your worldview or experience, one of them has to adjust. For many, it is inconceivable to consider women having unlimited access to all corners of Christendom."
Pam Hogeweide, The Ooze, The God-Hearted Sexist
" As I reexamined that memory on light of justice I was beginning to realize that I wasn’t being neutral at all. My lack of conviction had been an accomplice to the unequal treatment of women. My diplomacy was misguided. In my quest to maintain peace and unity, I had become a woman with a divided mind and heart". 
Pam Hogeweide, Unladylike: Resisting the Injustice of Inequality in the Church.

If you haven't already, PLEASE do pick up a copy of her book. Read it with an open mind. Feel free to dog ear it, highlight, underline and buy a copy for all your friends!! it truly is a wonderful book!



No comments:

Post a Comment