Shalom

I have longed for thy salvation, O L-RD; and thy Torah is my delight. Let my soul live, and it shall praise thee; and let thy judgments help me. I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments. Psalm 119:174-176


26 October 2012

Author Highlight - Jim Henderson - sidebar from The Girl Effect

Red Panda, Frankfurt Zoo - Photo by J. Stahl


Today I want to tell you about Jim Henderson. I recently read his book, "The Resignation of Eve: What If Adam's Rib Is No Longer Willing to Be the Church's Backbone?". I've quoted it a few times in my "Girl Effect" series of posts.

You might know Jim by something else radical that he did:  Jim “bought an atheists soul on Ebay”, and around 2000 began to produce live events called Off The Map where he let people eavesdrop on his interviews with Non Christians and every kind of Outsider he could get on stage.. (from Jim's Bio page)

I first heard about Jim when he bought the atheist's soul on Ebay.  I think I've heard of Off The Map, but to be honest I'm not 100% sure I really have. I need to do some investigating.

"...Jim could have stuck with women within his field of vision, but he didn’t. He searched for dif­fer­ent sto­ries in an effort to pro­vide a field report of the mul­ti­ple per­spec­tives that women of faith have about our­selves. From women who are fiercely ded­i­cated to an egal­i­tar­ian point of view, as well as women who are con­tent in their role as the sub­servient sex, Jim’s book was writ­ten to high­light what women have to say about our­selves...."
Pam Hogeweide, The Resignation of Eve: More than a Book Review


I thoroughly enjoyed the review of William Dahl on Amazon.com. Here's a couple excerpts:

"...Henderson goes onto characterize what he identifies as The Three Faces of Resignation - resigned to, resigned from, re-signed. For Henderson, he makes a well-informed observation: "leaving doesn't mean walking away; more often it means showing up without being present." (p.7).

The interviews and summaries of the same by the author are superbly crafted. They represent women who live or have lived at least one of the "Three Faces of Resignation" denoted above. (truth be told, one may exist in one of Henderson's stages in degrees, if you will. In one's lifetime, one may live through multiple stages). . ."

and

"...This book should have a warning label: "NOTICE: The consumption of this book will cause the reader to act upon the heartfelt reflex to reflect upon reconciliation. Side Effects: May cause enlargement of your heart, stir your redemptive imagination, identify a fracture between your beliefs and behavior, and promote the onset of healing an enduring malady that continues to infect the hearts and minds of His Church..."

I'm shocked I haven't given a book review for his book myself. Usually once I finish something I enjoyed so much, I do so on a couple forums that I am on. And I only left a blurb on one forum, and nothing on the other.

The Resignation of Eve... oh it is so... ah - so many emotional things, so many logical things - and it's just obvious something has to change in greater Christianity for us ladies. it really does. We have to stop beating ourselves up about it, and just find our way, however it is that G-d is leading us. Jim's book made me want to reach out and just hug lots of people.

If I could, I would love to give a copy of this book and Pam's, as well as Half of the Church to every pastor I've ever known and ask them to read them with an open mind and consider what they are being told... but, truth be told, I don't think they'd listen. They were the harshest critics of women I knew, and we could never do enough, say or not say enough, and we're silly little things that are easily led astray. *sigh*

If you can, please do pick up a copy at your local library or book store, Amazon has copies available (linked above) and read it.  Jim lets each lady tell her story and then gives us wonderful statistics from the Barna Group to let you know where things really lie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment