Shalom

I have longed for thy salvation, O L-RD; and thy Torah is my delight. Let my soul live, and it shall praise thee; and let thy judgments help me. I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments. Psalm 119:174-176


02 October 2011

Jonah



"Jonah Cast Forth By the Whale" by Gustave Dore (d. 1883)
Wikipedia Commons

Jonah the Prophet is generally read on Yom Kippur. I think in a way, we all can identify with this prophet. According to tradition Jonah was the boy brought back to life by Elijah the prophet.   Something I never noticed before this year, is that when Jonah was praying, he repeats the 13 attributes of G-d failing to say the last one which is "Truthful", and changed it to "...who is willing to forgive the bad". You will find reference to the 13 attributes in my post on Rosh Hashanah.

You can read the book of Jonah in the New Living Translation here. Chapter 1, 2, 3 and 4.